Two students of the University of Lagos, UNILAG, identified as Roli Odogwu and Linda Elegeonye have died in a midnight fire at a Lagos hotel. 

The two ladies, Odogwu, a 200-Level Mass Communication student and Elegeonye, a 300-Level Law student, died of burns, days after they were trapped in the hotel room where they were guests.

According to The Nation, the girls left the campus on Monday to attend an evening outing off-campus. When it dawned on them that they could not return to the campus late in the night, they reportedly lodged in the hotel to pass the night.

It was also gathered that Roli’s friend, who did not want to be named, said she spoke to her mother to inform her of her decision to pass the night in the hotel.It was also revealed that the victims were asleep when the inferno started from a faulty air conditioner. The victims were trapped for several minutes before they were rescued from the room. They sustained first-degree burns and were rushed to Gbagada General Hospital.

Last Saturday, Roli passed away around 4 am and was buried at Atan Cemetery in Yaba. On Sunday, news broke that Linda, who had been in coma for six days, had also died.

A friend, who pleaded anonymity, said she was informed about the incident by a policeman who picked up the late Roli’s call on Tuesday.

Until their death, the two students were residents of Fagunwa Hall.

Follow us on Instagram

@theatmonline   

share:

Share to Facebook
Share to Google Plus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *